The goal of Talking About Mental Illness (TAMI) - Durham is “increasing students’ knowledge about mental illness and decreasing the associated stigma”. The TAMI Coalition is a partnership between children and youth service providers, mental health survivors and the educational system. RFECY acts as broker for the TAMI Coalition and is an active participant on the Coalition.
The TAMI Coalition supports children and youth by providing:
- Curriculum materials for grades 7 & 8 and grades 11 & 12.
- Professional development opportunities for school staff to ensure appropriate linkages to community mental health services.
- Guest speakers participate in school presentations by sharing their personal experiences.
- Coalition members introduce TAMI, support educators in delivery of materials andconduct pre- and post-assessments.
- The Stomping out Stigma Summit which brings together participants from a variety of schools across Durham Region for an opportunity to learn more about Mental Health and how they can engage in peer support.
How can I make a referral?
- For further information on how you can access the Durham TAMI Coalition, please contact Bob Heeney, Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences: 1-800-341-6323 / 905-668-5881 ext. 6014 or
Proudly Supporting Children and Youth with Special Needs